AniMini-Bite Size Anime
Anime has evolved in the last 10~ years and now features minisodes, shorts that fall under 15 minutes, often 5 and under. We’ll look at the best of various genres.
BTS of Photography
We talk to photographers and cosplayers about our experiences in the cosplay photography community, the do’s and don’ts. How to stay safe, and what goes into planning the perfect shot
Chattooine – Costuming for a Cause
Learn more about Chattanooga’s biggest charity costuming group, and how you can get involved in the community while having fun doing something you love!
Cosplay Sidekicks: The Benefits of Cosplaying Supporting Characters
Want to cosplay but don’t want to be the same as 20 other Cosplayers? You can pick a character that supports the main character that nobody else does.
Crack Ship Dating Game
Imagine if there was an inter-fandom speed dating event where characters from across the universes could meet, talk and possible set some ships to sail!
Fairy Tail: the Beginning of the End of an Era
Lets talk Fairy Tail. What is the best magic? Which guild would you choose. And maybe win some swag.
Fate/Anime Blast (Type-Moon Fan panel)
If you are a fan of Type-Moon’s works such as Fate/Stay Night or Tsukihime come join us for fun discussion about their works with the head of the southeast’s Fate/ cosplay community!
Fire Emblem: History of the Emblem
Do you love Fire Emblem? ever wonder where it all started? come join us for a retrospective of the entire franchise and a fun discussion with the host southeast’s Fire Emblem Cosplay community!
Have you ever been curious about those folks in the animal costumes? Join us as we reveal why they do it, how the fursuits are made, and other fascinating facts about furries and the fursuiting world.
Going Live! The Art of Streaming!
Live streaming: the equipment, skills, and tricks of being an entertainer on camera.
Greggo’s Game Shows: Anime Press Your Luck
Get ready, it’s time for the game show with lots of Whammies and lots of Big Bucks! Three players will answer questions to earn spins on our big board which is loaded with goodies, prizes and cash to spend in our prize coffers, but be careful! There are also some Whammies that would love to take everything away! Only the player with the most bucks at the end of the game gets to keep it all and maybe come back next year and do it again!
Greggo’s Game Shows: Blockbusters
This is a high-speed, high-strategy trivia game where a solo player competes against a family pair to prove whether two heads are really better than one! The winning side wins a nice prize and moves on to our Gold Run bonus game for a shot at additional prizes! There is a tryout for this game; be sure to check the schedule!
Greggo’s Game Shows: Face Off
Five players participate in a visual quiz, answering questions based on faces seen on our giant game board. We eliminate a contestant each round until we get to the two competitors for our Final Face Off for a chance at the grand prize! Do you know your anime faces? This is the game for you!
Greggo’s Game Shows: Strikeout
Four teams of three play a game similar to Family Feud. Surveys taken before the con result in a game board with twelve possible answers. The object of the game is to find the top seven answers among the possible ones…finding one earns the team money. Finding one of the five “strikeout” answers costs the team a member! The surviving team advances to the next round and has a shot to win big!
Gundam: From Turn A to Zeta
A discussion of the history and future of the Gundam franchise.
How Sci-Fi Is Influencing Popular Media
We take an in-depth look at how Science Fiction is making a statement in popular culture and influencing writing.
Into Gensokyo: A Touhou Panel
Pass through the Great Hakurei Barrier into a land of Yokai. Join us for a panel on the phenomenon known as The Touhou Project!
Do you love Kpop or would like to see what it is all about? Come join us to watch kpop videos and talk about this fantastic world!
Make Your Own Gem With Jasper!
Become a Crystal Gem! Come and learn how to make Gems from different materials and leave with a gem of your own design in this interactive panel.
The Maze of Many: Presented by WalkmanEXE
Behold a wacky and zany Dungeons and Dragons adventure stating the cast of Number One ChattCast and Log Horizon Abridged!
Most Underrated Anime You’ve Never Heard Of
The most underrated anime you’ve never heard of: There are so many good anime out there that fly under the radar that deserve your attention, we’re going to talk about about them and hopefully you’ll leave with a few new shows added to your queue.
Shooting Creatively with Amanda Swanson
My Hero Academia: Get Quirky With It
Hero Academia panel for those brand new and current. Come by to learn all about those quirks.
Nihon-Go to Japan!
Does traveling around the world to the land of the rising sun seem impossible?? Join us to walk though tips, tricks, and general knowledge of how to get to Japan, and what to do once you’re there!
Nomi Ni Ikimashou !
Sasha in Lights and Coffee Bean are laying their reputations on the line to hash out some of their most embarrassing yet delightfully nerdy moments while under the influence. Just remember- one does not simply have one drink at a Game of Thrones premiere party.
Noragami Dating Game!!
Ever wanted to date a character from Noragami? Now, you can! Compete with fellow cosplayers to win the title of Wifu or Husbando.
OH THE HORROR!
Coffee Bean and Sasha In Lights want to talk about a fandom that doesn’t get mentioned very often in the light- HORROR! From movies to video games to books- we’re here to discuss the history of horror, why we love it, and what makes it great!
Otaku Going on Office Job!
You thought being a nerd in high school was hard? Wait until you have to explain to your co-workers why you skipped the company picnic! Join Sasha in Lights and Coffee Bean as we discuss how to keep it classy and professional while still getting to dress up like sexy cat girls and binge watching anime!
Positive cosplay with Lunarkitty
Body positivity in the Cosplay world loving yourself
RWBY Abridged Panel
Come join us as we discuss Dust to Dust Productions RWBY Abridged series and talk with some of the writers and voice actors about their roles in the show!
Sacred Made Secular-Religion For Otaku
Christianity, Judaism and Islam, among others, appear in anime and manga in one form or another. From symbolism, censorship, references to real religious figures and institutions as well as religious topics, we’ll look at how Japan portrays the West’s “exotic” religions in pop culture.
Scanlation Hell-Manga You Can’t Read Legally (Yet)
Lots of manga get picked up by the various publishers like Viz, Vertical and the like. But some have lots of potential and yet still remain untranslated except by the fans: we’ll talk about them and even how to encourage publishers to take them on.
Simulcasts vs Netflix and Amazon
Are the big guys hurting good anime? Come learn and discuss!
Tail Meat & Best Girl: a Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid panel
Come talk about the hottest new series of 2017. What you loved, what you didn’t, and why it needs a sequel. And maybe win some swag. 1 hour
Villains Against Humanity
A party game for horrible people, with horrible people. Villains and Villain cosplayers welcome!
Welcome to Arks: Phantasy Star Online 2
Come join the ARKS and save the universe! It’s the Phantasy Star Online 2 panel!
Why we suck and need to talk about it
This is an open discussion panel aimed at getting people to learn to disagree in a a civilized fashion in order to cut down on trolling online the community.
18+ (Must show ID and be 18+ to attend)
CardBattleFightStuff… For Adults! (18+)
Come on down to witness the showdown between the crew of RWBY Abridged and NumberOneChattCast! In an epic showdown of Cards Against Humanity who will be victorious!?
Ecchi-Half Frontal Hentai (18+)
Interested in 18+ material, but not quite to the point of hentai? If you want to be teased and not get everything at once, you’ll be more than satisfied.
Inhuman Obsession: Monster Girls and You (18+)
It’s that kind of panel, the one everyone warned you about. It’s time to take a look at some inhuman characters from eastern pop culture.
Monster Girl Quest: The Panel (18+)
Ever heard on Monster Girl Quest? No? Well stop on by and get immersed in the game that started the whole modern craze!
Speed Meeting (18+)
So you made it out the door and into the con, now you just need to make friends. Easy peasy! Or is it? Reduce your anxiety about making friends by joining us for a open but quick environment with curated topics that will allow you to chat freely and meet some peeps with similar interests!
“Fireworks,” the first of five new titles announced by GKIDS presented through Fathom Events, will premiere in movie theaters nationwide on July 3 with encore showings on July 5 and 7. The film will receive a theatrical release by GKIDS starting July 4. “Fireworks” is the newest release from Toho animation and producer Genki Kawamura, following the worldwide blockbuster “Your Name,” the highest-grossing anime of all time. It will be shown in both its original Japanese version and a new English-language version produced by GKIDS.
Our friends at Knox Cosplay Events are hosting a Cosplay on Ice: Christmas in July celebration on July 15th Sunday 1pm – 4pm!
Their annual cosplay on ice event will return to the same venue, Ice Chalet, located off Kingston Pike in Knoxville, TN.
An RSVP is required to attend the event. Please comment in the pinned thread on their Facebook event if you’d like to attend.
Event cost is $10 CASH at the event Sunday, prepay via Paypal until Midnight Saturday 7/14. Do not pay the cashier at the rink.
Cost includes admission, skate rental, and access to a warming room filled with drinks and snacks!
Cosplays need to be family friendly and safe to skate in, PER THE ICE CHALET DO NOT BRING PROPS OR WEAR ANY COSTUME THAT COULD RESULT IN A TRIPPING HAZARD (costumes with trailing fabric, costumes that have limited mobility etc). You are not required to wear a Christmas themed cosplay, but they are highly encouraged!
We hope you can all come out!
“To our Anime Blast community, we have some exciting changes we are working on for the future of Anime Blast Chattanooga.
Unfortunately, and after much deliberation, we have decided that this will require us to postpone the con until 2019. In the meantime, we will support and host other smaller events this year, and we hope you join with us for those as we work to keep the anime community active and engaged in Chattanooga.
We also look forward to recruiting more volunteers and staff members, who can help build Anime Blast Chattanooga for 2019 and the future! Your voices matter, and if you’ve ever wanted to be heard and make a difference, now is the time.
So to those of you who were excited for a con this year from us we sincerely apologize; however, we hope to have your voice and your support as we work hard for the future of Anime Blast Chattanooga.
Lastly please check back on our site and social media as we promote the events we’ll be supporting and/or hosting this year, starting with GhibliFest 2018!” – Anime Blast Board of Directors
IN THEATERS JUN 17, JUN 18, JUN 20
When their beloved woodland home is threatened by human developers, the mischievous tanuki (raccoon dogs) learn to fight back through magical powers, in this animated classic from Studio Ghibli and Academy Award®-nominated director Isao Takahata.
IN THEATERS JUL 22, JUL 23, JUL 25
IN THEATERS AUG 12, AUG 13, AUG 15
The story of Seita and Satsuko, two young Japanese siblings, living in the declining days of World War II. When an American firebombing separates the two children from their parents, the two siblings must rely completely on one another while they struggle to fight for their survival.
IN THEATERS SEP 30, OCT 1, OCT 3
IN THEATERS OCT 28, OCT 29, OCT 30
IN THEATERS NOV 18, NOV 19, NOV 20
From Studio Ghibli and Oscar®-winning director Hayao Miyazaki, Castle in the Sky is an action-packed adventure. Pursued by pirates, Sheeta (Anna Paquin) and her friend Pazu (James Van Der Beek) search for Laputa, a legendary floating castle that holds the secret to Sheeta’s mysterious pendant.
Our venue, the historic Chattanooga Choo Choo, is dog friendly! 😀 So if you’d like to dress your dog up and bring him by please do.
Here’s a photo of Flynn Rider at least year’s Anime Blast in his Ein (Cowboy Bebop) cosplay! Taken by one of our wonderful guests: Amanda Swanson Photography.
If you’re wanting to keep your dog in your hotel room, here’s the hotel policy.
The Chattanooga Choo Choo welcomes two pets up to 50 lbs for an additional fee of $50 per stay. Pets must be crated when left unattended in rooms.
Anime Blast Chattanooga wants to honor the dedication fans put into bringing their favorite characters to life with our 2017 Costume Contest. We accept all genres of fandom from anime, movies, TV, video games, etc. both of eastern and western origins.
Times and Location
- Application may be submitted online until November 8th at the following link:
- The weekend of the Convention applications must be submitted in person starting Saturday at 10am and continue till 2:30 pm outside the judging room. Space is limited and is on a strictly first come first served basis.
- Judging is between is 11am Saturday morning until 3:00pm Saturday afternoon. When you submit your application, you will be assigned a time slot. You must arrive on time for judging or risk being dropped as a contestant. You must have your paperwork with you.
- The costume showcase is at 5:30pm Saturday evening. You must arrive at 5pm outside the Main Events room for line-up.
- To be eligible for an award you must participate in the showcase.
- Everyone participating in Anime Blast Chattanooga Costume Contest must have a badge.
- Costumes and props must adhere to Anime Blast’s rules and weapons policy.
- Contestants who wish to compete must have made a 60% or more of their costume. It is acceptable for contestants at Novice and Journeyman Levels to include some bought items, but it is expected that they be altered significantly from their original state. Contestants competing at Masters Level should strive for 80% or more of their costume being handcrafted.
- The Closet Cosplay category is for anyone who has bought, commissioned or made less than 60% of their costume. They will be judged on the overall look of their costume, how closely they resemble their character, and not on craftsmanship. Limited to one entry per contestant in this category. Also, the contestant is not eligible to compete in any other category. Contestants must also fill out the application form and submit a reference photo either online or on Saturday during the registration time.
- A contestant may have another person model their costume, but the contestant must be present for judging.
- Contestants who have large or complicated costumes or who are children are allowed to have one handler/parent backstage and onstage. No one else will be allowed backstage without prior approval.
- Anyone who is found cheating or misrepresenting work they claim to be their own will be disqualified.
- Contestants who have previously won a major award for a costume may not re-enter it unless pre-approved by the Cosplay Contest Director. Example: the contestant has won Best Novice at another convention and wishes to enter the Journeyman category at Anime Blast.
- This is not a skit competition. Contestants will not be allowed to act or say anything on stage. Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. Participants who are unruly will also be disqualified. Contestants will be briefed on appropriate stage etiquette during lineup.
- Areas the judges will be considering (but not limited to): accuracy, construction, choice and quality of materials, durability, and properly fitted/tailored garments. Please be prepared to have the judges examine and touch your costume and/or props.
- The judges reserve the right to move a Novice or Journeyman up a level at their discretion. They also reserve the right to move a contestant out of a group/duo and give that contestant an individual award or to give a group/duo one of the individual awards.
- Reference pictures are required. Work in progress pictures are not required but strongly recommended. The reference pictures cannot be of fan art unless you are competing in the Fan Art category. Original Design contestants do not have to bring a reference photo but progress pictures are strongly recommended.
- A contestant who wants to compete in one costume but wear another costume as Exhibition during the showcase may do so as long as they have notified the Cosplay Contest Staff prior to 12pm on the day of the contest.
- Any special accommodations or requests should be directed to the Cosplay Contest Director. If possible, accommodations will be made for those who need it.
Awards and Categories:
- The Exhibition category is for people who have purchased or commissioned their costume. Participants will be allowed to walk on stage in the showcase but will not be eligible for an award.
- Closet Cosplay category is for participants who have either created less than 60% of their costume or have purchased/commissioned it.
- There is a first, second and third prize available for contestants in this category.
- Areas the judges will be considering (but not limited to): attention to detail (hair style, makeup, clothing choice etc.), how in character the contestant is, and the overall quality of the contestant costume/props.
- For children under the age of 15. Must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- There are craftsmanship and not-craftsmanship awards available for all children who enter.
Fan Art or Original Design
- This award is for contestants of all skill levels who have created a costume for their character that is not canonical to the series or is of their own original design.
- Examples of Fan Art: formal wear version of a character’s costume, crossover designs, and pre-existing fan art designs created by another person/third party.
- Examples of Original Design: fantasy, sci-fi, and steam punk inspired creations.
- Participants in this category must still adhere to the 60% rule.
Prop or Armor
- The Best Prop or Armor will be award to a contestant who exhibits superior craftsmanship in prop and/or armor making.
- The rest of the costume must still abide by the 60% rule (some leniency will be given here since prop making is a different set of skill from sewing.)
- Must be the corresponding costume for the prop.
- The Group/Pair award is intended for two or more contestants of any skill level. The costumes must be from the same fandom.
- This award is for contestants who have shown exceptional skill in wig styling and/or makeup & special effects makeup
- Each judge will award a contestant that is their personal favorite.
- The Novice award is intended for costumers with little to no prior experience making costumes.
- Must not have won “Best Novice” or a title of that same caliber or above at any other costume competition.
- The Journeyman award is intended for people with some experience making costumes or who have a few awards for costumes.
- Must not have won “Best Journeyman” or a title of that same caliber or above at any other costume competition more than 3 times.
- The Master award is intended for skilled costumers with lots of experience and several awards.
- Anyone who wishes to join this level may do so.
Chase Lawrence is a professional photography artisan from Jasper, Alabama that has specialized in practical effects, cinematic lighting, and photo manipulation. He has been photographing cosplayers since early 2011 and has continued bettering his work with the help of his photo and cinematography team, Affliction Cosplay Photography. His work has been featured in multiple publications internationally and shared by the creators of Irrational Games, Blizzard, BioWare, Riot Games, 2K Games, IGN, and Hi-Rez Studios through multiple multimedia outlets. Come meet him and his crew, Levi Mixon, Karsten Everett to learn more about the world of cosplay photography at Anime Blast Chattanooga 2017!
Many thanks to all of you who entered! We had such great entries this year, you all made it quite a challenge for the judges. It was a rough one, but our panel has chosen!
Congratulations to rinkunokoisuru for your awesome winning entry! You get to enjoy a free Artist Alley table, shirt and award. But it doesn’t stop there! in fact, we had such a challenge this year that we ended up with a special Honorable Mention! Congratulations to Lyndarsia for nabbing that special spot! As a special winning treat you also get a mini prize pack including special half-off rate and mini award.
We will be contacting winners in the next few days for arrangements. Meanwhile, I want to thank each and every one of you again for all your hard work! Entries were great this year! I look forward to seeing you all at ABC!
And speaking of seeing you all…. Be on the lookout! Anime Blast Chattanooga 2017’s Artist Alley Applications will be opening up soon!
We look forward to having you at Anime Blast Chattanooga!
Amanda Swanson started her interest in photography during her junior year of high school in 2012, and has loved it ever since.
She graduated with her Associates in Photography in 2015. She has owned her local photography business in Knoxville, T.N. for the past year now!
She focuses on the power of natural light, and loves to create a fun experience for each client! As well as cosplay photography, she also specializes in family portraiture, children portraiture, dog portraiture, and wedding photography.